Finalist, International Competition, JWTFF2022
While Tourism Australia has an extensive history of cultivating and converting international visitation
to Australia, the COVID pandemic has given TA the opportunity to turn its attention inward and encourage
Australians themselves to (re)discover their own backyard. Tying into the business’s overarching Holiday
Here This Year campaign and messaging during the pandemic, the Epic Holidays campaign urged
Australians to go beyond the familiar domestic holidays and ‘go big’ instead.
Prior to the pandemic, Australians spent more overseas than foreign tourists spent in Australia.
Hoping to reroute that tourism spend that would usually find its way overseas and alleviate Australians’
pent up international travel demand, the Epic Holidays campaign sought to remind Australians
that big adventures can be had across a plethora of Australia’s many awe-inspiring destinations,
landscapes, and natural wonders.
Campaign tracking shows that our approach was effective in creating epic impact for an epic
message with epic reach:
– 57% of Australians surveyed were aware of the campaign.
– 90% of them recalled seeing the ad on TV.
– 76% of respondents found the campaign appealing, with 33% finding it “very appealing.”
The campaign has also shifted Australians’ consideration of taking a homegrown holiday of epic
54% of Australians surveyed told us they’d be more likely to take a holiday in Australia after seeing
– 27% of them are planning to take one.
– 14% have taken a domestic holiday they wouldn’t otherwise have taken.
– 64% agreed the advertisements reminded them of the great tourism experiences available.
– 33% respondents now realise there are more things they should experience in Australia.
51% agreed the campaign made them think they should take a major holiday in Australia rather than
All of which has translated into more Aussies seeking out more epic Australian adventures.
According to Skyscanner data:
– By the third week of the campaign, we saw a 19% increase in flight searches to our key destinations.
– There were over 1.2 million total flight searches to our key destinations.